The Domestic Church: Building a Catholic Home
With this family-based program of Christian formation, St. Luke’s seeks to assist each and every member of this parish to live a fuller, richer Christian life, a life every day more steeped in holiness. It is not enough to walk with the Lord once a week at mass and then to go the way of the world on the other six days. To be a Christian is to be united to Christ’s Body through baptism—alive in Him and dead to sin. That is not a part-time vocation.
God Himself dwells in eternity; He wishes us to live with Him there. But in this life, we are journeying encircled by both time and place, as He created us to do. While we walk through this life, then, we must seek to make the time that we spend and the place that we live holy:
As he who called you is holy, be holy yourselves in all your conduct; since it is written, “You shall be holy, for I am holy.” —1 Peter 1:15-16
In this program of Christian formation, we will look at ways of making holy our time and place. Our program begins with Hallowing the Time. We will look at time in its many layers: the parts of the day, the parts of the week, the seasons [both in nature and in the Church] of the year. In the second aspect of our program Hallowing the Place, we will look at ways to enrich our homes with Catholic qualities, using music and the visual arts as well as God’s gifts of nature.
As for the structure of our program, one Sunday a month we will meet after mass for a short presentation on the theme for the month, followed by a discussion among us about ways of living out that mission. Materials will be distributed at that time to assist our parishioners to spend the month learning and growing in the assigned Christian practice. Each household will be given
- Information and instruction on the month’s topic.
- Prayer cards and pamphlets to assist in living out the mission.
So what is your role?
- You need to attend the Christian Formation presentation after mass on that one Sunday each month. If you cannot attend one month, please contact the parish office so that the month’s materials can be sent to you.
- You need to practice the missions for the month. We can educate you, but only you—with God’s help—can develop those habits of life that will keep you on the path to Heaven.
- You need to bring your observations and questions back to the next session. We can all help each other with our difficulties. Maybe your experience or struggle can assist another member of our parish family.
So join with our entire parish family in building Catholic homes and Catholic lives. We were all put in this time and in this place as companions on our journey. Let us assist one another home to Eternal Life.